Saturday, May 10, 2008

Spending less

I am amazed at how God works things out! It really should be of no surprise to me since I know that He created everything.... but, He always amazes me! Let me back up a little.....Mike and I have gotten used to spending to much money on eating out. So our kids also are used to living like that for a few years on and off. In Jan. when we realized that we had to scale back on a lot of things so I would not have to go get a job (sometimes I would love to work a few hours out of the house but, that is for another day). So we canceled our cable tv service and made a few other adjustments financially to help offset our change in lifestyles. Back to our eating out. We knew that we could cut out a bit by eating out less and then we realized how much more we spent by ordering sodas and milk: at least $10 for our family. I used to be the one thinking that people who made their family order water out we just plain cheap. I am now that person. Now I realize that if we all order water that adds up to: 2 blockbuster movies, a pizza, ice cream cones or almost 3 gallons of gas. We now let our kids help us decide if they want soda or last night it was ice cream. They all ordered water and we all enjoyed the treat of ice cream! When we did the ice cream part we let them pick anything that they wanted! I loved that it was such a treat and not like it used to be, expected. I only wish that we had done this a long time ago! I want to help develop good spending habits in our children. God has blessed us with more than we could ever imagine! Our kids can drink some soda at home and all the milk they want. Just wanted you to know that they do not do without!

2 comments:

Kate said...

I hear you!!! We have stopped so much eating out here as well! We now do buy one get one free pizzas on Mon or Tues and icecream cones insted of blizzards if and when we go out for icecream!!!! I used to ask my kids what we should do for dinner ( meaning- what should I make) and they would blurt out three different restaurants!!! Now they know that it is special if we go out- not expected! It really does feel good!!! We are bringing pizza home tonight instead of eating it there so we can drink our soda at home! 5 sodas is alot of extra money eating out!!! It is reassuring to me to have friends doing the same exact thing as we are (especially when they are the ones we ate out with alot!!! Hahaha! Hae a great night! See you tomorrow!

naomi silliman said...

Kate-good stuff! I will add that to our options!